Chapter Five of “Staying” continues along the vein of non-human entities outlining a few of my close encounters with things that go bump in the night.
Happy Halloween, everyone…. Sleep tight.
Chapter 5 – Non-human Entities
From time to time I get called out to a client’s home either to do a reading or to pacify a ornery ghost. For those that are simply getting a reading, they will invariably, ask me, “is my house haunted?” And without fail, when I tell them that their home is fine, they look back at me with expressions tinged with both relief and disappointment.
I get it, though.
Haunted houses are all the rage these days thanks to the popularity of prime time tv shows. And though a ghost in the house forces one to confront one’s feelings about the unknown and the afterlife, it also makes for great dinner party conversation. I can’t tell you how many times bad plumbing and an over-active imagination manifest as paranormal activity after a few glasses of pinot grigio.
But for those clients who have a “visitor,” they are among the few who are living in a haunted home. For example, a few of my clients own a home located on a particularly active piece of land. The home itself serves as a respite for the living and the dead alike; it is a veritable oasis in the middle of a bustling suburban neighborhood. The spirits in this home are human, friendly, and generally non obtrusive. A similar home a few streets over, was a different story completely; they had some non-human entities running amok through their house.
There are a wide range of energetic spaces or levels that sentient entities can occupy on this plane. Often these entities exist outside the range of our five senses, and we can typically co-habitate peacefully. However, sometimes we can have negative encounters with these entities. Remember, these are entities that occupy a lower vibrational and energetic states than humans, angels or guides. As such, they seek out energy that they can feed on, which is their energetic vibration or better. They prefer to attach to lower, baser energy (fear, hate, etc.), and in some cases incite these feelings in humans. That is, they will antagonize their human host into feeling fear or anger or hatred simply by their presence and for the purpose of generating a “food source.” To add to the trouble, low human energies attract even more non human entities. It is almost like setting out food for wild animals such as squirrels or birds. You will attract a few at first, and then more and more until you are overwhelmed. The simplest thing to do, seems obvious – stop feeding them. But if you can’t see what you’re up against, that is much easier said than done.
For my clients with the non-human entities, they had unique problem. These entities were traipsing through their home with apparent indifference to the chaos they were inciting. Furthermore, they would arrive and leave at random intervals, much like a band of unruly neighborhood children. Once, while I was there giving a reading, one of the entities made itself known. Since I was giving a reading within the home, I had sealed it energetically, allowing only loving and helpful energies and entities to enter the sacred space. During a reading, I summon very high energy, which shines like a beacon to other entities. Through the power of intention, the space is restricted to allow only spirit guides, angels and loved ones; lower vibrational entities can not gain access. So, when the neighborhood entities attempted to barge into their former stomping grounds, they got frustrated and began opening the garage doors on another part of the property. The scene reminded me of badly behaved children who were not getting their way.
Though it was rather humorous, I had a feeling that there was a larger problem at hand. For years, my clients had been world travelers, leaving their home open to friends and family alike to do whatever they pleased. Only recently had they decided to settle down, decorate the home and make it their own. The years of hospitality and generosity had an unintended consequence: it had left their home energetically open and vulnerable to any local entity that happened across the space. The fact that the home had a revolving door of houseguests who were easily spooked was just an added bonus. What my clients had not done was seal the home themselves. Think of this as a kind of paranormal security system. It sets clear boundaries that tell unwanted entities they are not welcome or tolerated in the space. For this couple, it was a fairly straightforward fix. They didn’t have an infestation, they just needed to batten down the hatches. Since I had already sealed the home, I suggested crystals at the entrance points to help keep negative energies, in general, at bay.
If you or a loved one is experiencing mild paranormal activity, you may want to consider the following list of suggestions to assist is flushing and keeping out unwanted entities.
Suggestions for Sealing a Space Against Unwanted Entities or Energies
- Blessing or Cleansing – This is typically a religious rite that is done by a local priest or other clergy. Native American shamans also may provide this if they feel that the home is on sacred land or if sacred sites have been disturbed by the clients.
- Burning Sage – Sage is used by Native Americans for cleansing a space, but it is widely available and highly effective for the average home owner. You can find sage in your local metaphysical bookstore or online. To cleanse your home (or other space) simply light the sage bundle and allow the smoke to permeate all the nooks and crannies of the home. Make sure you burn the sage in every room of the home, including bathrooms, closets, garages, attics and basements.
- Crystals – Placing crystals at the entrance of your home can be a powerful tool. Crystals hold high amounts of energy, and when charged with sunlight or positive energy, they offer protection to a home.
- Bells and Bowls – If you can’t tolerate the smoke from the sage, you may also use bells or crystal singing bowls. The high, clear sound from these instruments is of a high enough vibration as to be annoying to lower vibrational energies and healing for humans. I recommend Tibetan tingsha cymbals, Tibetan singing bowls or crystal singing bowls. These are wonderful tools for clearing a space and as an addition to your meditative practice.
- Good, Old-fashioned Housecleaning – Physical clutter can breed energetic clutter, and allow for low energies to coagulate in a space. Employ a little diligence and maybe some Fung Shui, and you will find yourself raising your vibration, which will naturally offend unwanted entities. Make sure that when you are done physically clearing your space, you also clear it energetically using bells, crystals or sage.